Can the handyman assemble his balcony railing himself?? This question arises first, because in this area there are many different legal requirements to be complied with, which are intended to serve safety. The answer is: Yes, a do-it-yourselfer can assemble his railing himself. But then he is also responsible for the safety of his balcony railing and, in an emergency, to be prosecuted. Read here how the assembly works.
Static calculation as a basis
First of all, a static calculation must take place that takes DIN standard 1055 into account. A structural engineer calculates the loads that act on the balcony and determines the post spacing of the railing. Only then may the railing be attached according to these calculations.
- Also Read - Minimum Height For Balcony Railings
- Also read - balcony railings - renew and renovate
- Also read - Elevation for the balcony railing - 3 solutions for different railings
Assembling the railing: you should pay attention to this!
- Anchoring in the edge zones of the concrete slab only with special stainless steel dowels that do not generate any tension or expansion pressure.
- The distance between the dowels and the edge must be at least 10 cm. If possible, there should be a distance of 20 cm between two dowels.
- In the case of a thin concrete slab, it is advisable to attach the railing posts to the underside; there are special constructions for this. Push-through installation is recommended for panels that are less than 13 cm thick.
- There is also the option of attaching the concrete posts to the front of the balcony slab. From a static point of view, however, this is rather uncertain, and the guardrail posts must be set close together.
How to attach your balcony railing
First, measure out your balcony and mark where you will attach the railing posts. If you do not have a prefabricated railing, then saw the lengthways connections between the posts to fit.
Mount the guardrail posts securely on the ground; anchor bolts are recommended for frontal mounting in concrete. Stainless steel anchor rods can be glued well with injection mortar. Now plug, screw and glue your railing together. Sometimes welding is also required.
In between, check the vertical and horizontal alignment of the railing. If necessary, line the base plates with floor profiles so that everything is straight. Only when the balcony railing is exactly aligned do you tighten all the screws.
Clean the railing after assembly
After assembly, the first thorough cleaning of the balcony railing is due. The best way to remove any dirt that has arisen during cultivation is with special cleaners. Now you can think about how you would like to decorate your new railing to get the most appealing outdoor seat possible.
In the 3rd. Part of our balcony railing series, you will learn more about the different materials to choose from.Tips & Tricks Seal the floor and wall profiles with weather-resistant silicone so that no moisture can accumulate underneath.