Basically, the Attica is a masonry or extension of the underlying wall wall. However, it is separately or subsequently set up on a flat roof in modern construction industry. When positioning, the right location must be paid to the masonry. Light deviations are possible.
Structural requirements can affect the position
When building a parapet, there are a number of decisive factors that are important in order to implement the construction in accordance with standards and regulations. Above all, the waterproofing, the covering of the crown and the capacity of the water drainage must be right.
- Also read - Fastening a flat roof without a parapet
- Read also - A parapet on the flat roof of a garage
- Also read - Construction of the parapet
Another point on residential buildings or other heated substructures is the requirement for thermal insulation. Since houses can have different insulation systems, this has an impact on the position of the parapet. It is not always placed exactly and flat on the underlying masonry. It can be wider, narrower and staggered.
Relevant factors for position on masonry
When building the attic, the following structural parameters are given:
- The outer wall of the parapet must be flush with the outer wall
- In the case of external wall and facade insulation, the parapet seat does not always correspond to the wall seat
- The thickness or strength of the parapet can differ from the thickness of the masonry
- The parapet must sit on the supporting structure and may only "overlap " to a limited extent
- The parapet can have an L-shaped foot piece to improve the roof connection
Reinforcements are recommended
Ideally, the masonry connection between the parapet and the sub-wall is reinforced. Steel can be introduced into the existing masonry in a binding manner through subsequent drilling. Steel anchors for hammering in can be an alternative.
If these two types of reinforcement are not possible, fastening on the wall side, for example under an insulation layer, can increase the static stability of the parapet. For already existing exposures, an additional anchor is indispensable depending on the nature.
The dimensions of an attic must be performed corresponding to the given masonry in relation to dimensioning, size and height of the construction.Tips & Tricks If you masonry with single stones such as places such as bricks, static stability is less than with concrete. In this case, you can increase the strength of the mandate by perpendicularly set wall stones when it is structurally and wear-bearing dependent.